Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Fat or dead?

     Postsecret.com recently posted one of their reader's "secrets" (check out the page...it's amazing and they update it every Sunday).  The individual claimed that they would rather die than be fat...something to that effect.   MSN.com recently had a story about fat people being charged more for airline flights.  The readers' comments/blogs in response were mean, nasty and self-righteous (all directed at fat people).  Being a BMI-challenged person myself, I certainly understand the personal torment that being overweight holds.  However, I can think of worse things.  Is being fat really so repulsive to some people that they would rather die or alienate everyone around them?  Personally, I find it repulsive that someone would be so shallow as to think that way, but even if I was that way, I wouldn't choose death over life.  We all know that people's general judgment of fat people is that they're lazy and dumb.  I'm here to tell you that I have more get-up-and-go and intelligence in my little finger than that kind of person has in their entire being.  Each morning, I have to face my flaws and enter the world, knowing that my flaws are on display for everyone to see.  If I were a bigot or a thief or a prideful ignoramus or was cheating on my spouse...whatever my sin of choice may be...I could hide it and probably be tempted to feel entitled to present myself as superior, too...and show the world how wonderful I am, only showing my true side while hiding behind a blog or a "secret".  These people may look perfect on the inside, but what do they look like on the inside? 
       In my life, I have learned that being overweight has bonus "life lessons" attached to it.  Although it can be humiliating and a source of great personal trauma, it also teaches me to focus on what's really important.  What are my priorities?  What kind of person do I want to be?  How do I want to be remembered?  How do I want other people to feel when they interact with me?  Were I able to hide my shortcomings/flaws so readily, I don't think I'd be the same person.  I wouldn't be worrying about if I make people happy or if I'll be going to Heaven or if I've been kind to the people around me...or what is the meaning of life?  I'd be more concerned with what I look like and all of life's important lessons would go on the back burner.
     Anyways, I am left with one thought...to those of you who would rather die than be fat...fuck you.

2 comments:

  1. You have such a way with words. I only wish I had a 1/4 of the talent you have been gifted with and worked hard to obtain. I can only dream to be as loving, caring, giving, as you one day. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on sister...you've got my support! And if Reacher doesn't think my ass is worthy then he can fuck off too. Just kidding, Reacher!

    ReplyDelete