Friday, August 13, 2010

Blessed or Lucky?


When people say, "I am so blessed" or "The man upstairs must have been looking out for me" or "She was saved by angels", it implies that those who are not so fortunate are less worthy of divine intervention than those that weren't so lucky.  Don't God and the angels care about them?  What about the victim of a drunk driver?  Or a child who is molested and killed by a pedophile?  The grandparent who just got bilked out of their life savings?  The person who lost their fight with cancer?  The starving child in Africa?  The child who is unloved and abused by his/her parent(s)?  The woman who is raped and then punished for it in the middle east?  Do we really believe that they have been forsaken and were not worthy of the same "blessings" that are bestowed upon us?  I suggest that we be thankful for our "opportunities"...our "luck"...our "good fortune"...and pray for God's understanding touch in all of our lives (and for his divine intervention when He sees fit).

3 comments:

  1. I feel very fortunate...I say I'm blessed all the time-even though I'm dying a very slow death, still suffer from past childhood horrors, live daily with reminders of that dreaded car accident 12 years ago, and was never given the opportunity to raise my own children. I guess I just feel fortunate that I could be strong enough to handle these things...isn't that really a blessing, too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very insightful, but a little to deep for me this early. I was up late.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very interesting concept to think about. I think sometimes crap just happens, but sometimes what appears at first to be something bad, works out for the best. One of my favorite old country songs is "Thank God for Unanswered Prayers."

    ReplyDelete