Tuesday, September 7, 2010

On Second Thought...

Before reading this, please review my post "Blessed or Lucky" from August 13, 2010.

The month started badly with the washing machine's demise.  It was an inconvenience, but it was easy enough to work out a schedule between the landromat and Mom and Dad's house.   A nasty summer cold quickly set in and a week later, it had turned into pneumonia.  Not as bad as two years ago when it landed me in the hospital for five days, but it was enough to sap all of my energy.  And on top of that...the last several months (well, maybe the last couple of years) have not been kind to my my body.  Every muscle hurts and I'm starting to understand the concept of creaking bones.  The first Saturday of the month began with hauling laundry to Mom and Dad's followed by hauling it all back home.  There have been more than one morning when there weren't any clean socks (I am always running one load ahead of where I am at the moment) since the washer died.  There were soccer cleats to be purchased, fundraisers for school and church to work on, kids to run around, a dead, overgrown and tinderous back yard to be dealt with, dishes to be washed, writing that needed to done, a sleepover birthday party for a 13-year old that must be a smashing success event though the bank account is sorely lacking...you know the routine.  After getting all the laundry home, I needed to run home and take a shower.  It had been three days (I was sick, remember?  Give me a break!) and I couldn't stand my own company.  Then a party at Jolene and Jake's house (the names have been changed to protect the innocent).  It was sheer torture getting ready and by the time I arrived at the party two hours late, I was having a hard time putting a smile on my face.  As  soon as I walked in, Jolene took one look at me and instantly knew something was wrong.  She pulled me into another room just as the tears exploded from my face.  Before I knew it...my friend, Candy, was also at my side.  These two women have uncanny empathic skills.  What followed was a diatribe of verbal self-pity that was a real downer.  "I'm so exhausted.  I'm so tired.  I'm so overwhelmed.  I just can't do it any more."  You get the idea.  I left the party early (as I usually do because I turn into a pumpkin at 9 PM).  I decided to play hookie from church the next morning.  I slept in.  My son slept in.  We stayed in our pajamas.  Had a late breakfast.  Stayed in our pajamas.  Watched a movie.  Stayed in our pajamas.  And then...all hell broke loose.  Quite literally, it was hell on Earth...right in my own back yard.

To be continued...

5 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read the ending...I would have hugged and cried with you if I had been there and not in Arizona. Love ya-

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe how you can keep my on the edge of my seat, even when I was there. I cant wait to be able to read the end of the story. Get on it girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I know the ending, I want to read about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waiting for the continuation!!! did i spell that correctly???lol

    ReplyDelete